Sunday, December 9, 2012

Section VI



This section of your textbook focuses on jobs in the profession of instructional design and technology: lessons and tips on how to get one and organizations that can support the job search and continued learning in the IDT field. Many of you already have a job in the field or in a related field; however, based on this week’s readings, you’ll reflect on where you are, where you want to go, and what you need to learn or do to get there.

Begin your post for this week with some background: what is your current job, what program are you enrolled in, what brings you to that program, and what do you expect when you graduate (change jobs? obtain a promotion?).

I am now a full time student as I have always been. And I am majored in mathematics, which I wish I could teach some day. When I was a child, I had a great experience in math classes, which made me wanted to be a math teacher in the future. Honestly, I think about quit this dream, since I really have trouble on how to explain things to others. I am learning how to express myself and organize my words and thinking, so I could be a math teacher hopefully.

Next, describe the kind of work that you want to do and the type of organization or institution in which you want to work. Use the WorkMatrixTM in the chapter titled “Getting a Job in Business and Industry” to help organize your thoughts. Do you most desire first, second, third, or fourth level service? Or would you rather design or develop instruction? What features of work are important to you? What economic sector do you want to work in?

I tried to create my form, but I had no idea what economic sector is. I put my score in it, and I think it shows that I still prefer to be a teacher.
Type of Work
Importance
Likelihood
Score
First-level service: teaching
6
5
30
Second-level service: training trainers
1
1
1
Third-level service: designing instructional models
8
2
16
Fourth-level service: creating basic knowledge to inform third-level service
8
1
8
Designing instruction
7
4
28
Developing instruction
6
4
24
Features of Work



Geographic location
5
3
15
High travel requirement
1
5
5
High start income
5
4
20
High income growth
5
4
20
High promotion opportunity
8
4
32
Economic Sector



Education
8
6
48
Public service, foundation, NGO
6
5
30
Service industry
4
4
16
Manufacturing
2
2
4
Knowledge industry
6
4
24
Government
3
1
3
From the chart and highlighted parts, it is clear that my first choice is teaching, which is my dream since I was in middle school. And I wish there will be a proper promotion opportunity, which can prove my work. Actually, I do not quite understand the last part, but I suppose that I would like to work in education field.

Based on these intentions, explain what you need to learn. What skills and qualifications do you need? Will you obtain the skills you need in the required courses in your program? What electives might you need to take to help you develop skills specific to your aspirations?

From before to now, I have to admit that I am a kind of lazy person on which I should be ashamed. However, I know exactly what I want to be and what should I learn to improve myself, I just leave it to the very last moment to take a move. I think my biggest problem that slows me down is self-expression. I worked in a mathlab where students could learn by themselves or ask us questions, and at the beginning of this semester, every time I have been asked a simple question I have no idea how to explain it to student. I felt terrible and frustrated that time, then I began to learn and practice how to explain the theorem I used and the process I solved a problem. Now, I feel I am getting better and I wish that one day I could give a class, I will try for it. Maybe I need to take a speech class, which I hear that there is a kind of class that can help people make a speech at public.

Finally, carefully examine the professional organizations and conferences listed in the chapter titled "Professional Organizations and Publications in IDT." What organizations would best support your continued learning after you graduate? Do you think you would benefit from joining those organizations before graduating? Explain why or why not? What conferences or annual meetings do you think it would be helpful to you to attend? Select at least two and tell what you could learn from attending.

I understand that the importance of keep learning even after graduating. And I like getting connected with people than learning new stuff, but I know I have to learn something new to catch up with others. Being a math teacher, I cannot only use my old knowledge but also learn newest method or newest research to put in my teaching. So, to catch up with those goals, I select following websites to enrich myself.

Math Stories:
To find some interesting stories that can inspire students to learn math in a fun way.

Math Society:
To learn something new in this field that can enrich me with some professional information.

Education Skills:
This website is supposed to improve my teaching skills.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your comment. I am not sure I understood some of it however, if you were referring to quitting your dream then I think you should reconsider. You seem to have a passion and you are great at your passion and there are tools and resources out there to help you be able to explain what you are trying to say. I think a lot of it will also come from experience. I had a math professor in college when I was in my undergrad. The class was really hard to myself and she had an accent I could not understand well. I went to her after class and she was beyond helpful to assist me to understand the material. To this day she is one of my favorite professors.

    I think it is great to want to be a teacher. Have you thought about teaching at the college level where there is also room to advance yourself. I think you have the right idea that you know the importance of continuing to learn. The techniques and knowledge will continue to expand and grown but to be great we have to try to stay current.

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I think you need to keep with it and you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog. I found there was a lot of information to think about in the WorkMatrix also. I think the best way to explain economic sector is to say it is a certain type of business activity within an economy. The American workforce is made up of different categories as listed above. The economic sector then defines the proportion of the population based on the different activity sectors. From everything you have discussed here, I think you would be well suited to teach math. Good math teachers are always in demand. I am sure with time you will find it much easier to explain. Your chart also showed an interest in designing and developing instruction. With your classes in educational technology and love for math this area of growth looks promising. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Langston Hughes wrote:
    Hold onto your dreams
    for when dreams die
    life is a broken winged bird
    that cannot fly.

    Hold onto your dreams
    for when dreams go
    life is a barren field
    frozen with snow.

    Your dream of being a math teacher is within reach. Don't let inexperience or language stop you from continuing to work toward your goals. You might try to get some practice with explaining concepts by volunteering as a tutor or working with younger family members. While you are helping the kids, they can help you with language, etc. Working with kids can seem daunting at first, but you will find that it becomes easier with practice. Kids will benefit from you love of math and your understanding of how frustrating it can be to explain when you can't think up the right words. What you see now as an obstacle could become your greatest strength in the long run.

    ReplyDelete